Please visit the Australia Council's Guide to government COVID-19 assistance for the arts 2021 for regularly updated information on the various assistance initiatives that are being provided by federal and state/territory governments.
COVID-19 Disaster Payment
Federal Government funding is available to those who have been affected by COVID-19 restrictions. The COVID-19 Disaster Payment provides financial support to workers who are unable to earn income due to lockdown restrictions.
If you’re eligible and you lost less than 20 hours work, you’ll get $325 - $375 for each relevant period of lockdown.
If you’re eligible and you lost 20 hours or more of work, you’ll get $500 - $600 for each relevant period of lockdown.
NAVA encourages all artists and arts workers who have had work cancelled (for example events or workshops) due to lockdown to apply for the payment.
Information about available financial support including the COVID-19 Disaster Payment can be found on the Services Australia website.
ACT COVID-19 Business Support Grant
The COVID-19 Business Support Grant provides $3,000 for employing businesses and $1,000 for non-employing businesses where those businesses’ turnover has declined by 30% or more as a result of the COVID 19 health restrictions.
More information can be found on the ACT Business Hub.
The ACT Government is providing a third round of HOMEFRONT funding for ACT-based artists to support their ongoing arts practice during the pandemic. Artists can apply for up to $10,000 per application. A total of $350,000 will be available. The focus of the grants round will be on promoting growth and sustainability in practice through supporting:
- projects which increase accessibility to the arts;
- projects which enhance an artist’s capability or capacity or artistic skills development; and/or
- initiatives which promote/market artistic practice or creation, or promotion/marketing skills development.
More information can be found on the Arts ACT website.
NSW COVID-19 Business Grants
NSW Government is offering the following financial support to businesses impacted by COVID-19 restrictions:
- COVID-19 business grant: if you’re a business, sole trader or not-for-profit organisation with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more and have experienced a decline in turnover you may be eligible for a one off grant of up to $15,000.
- Micro business grant: if you're a business or sole trader with an annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000 and have experienced a decline in turnover you may be eligible for a grant of up to $1,500 fortnightly.
- JobSaver: Fortnightly payments to help maintain employee headcount. Businesses with employees who have experienced a decline in turnover may be eligible for $1,500 - $10,000 per week. Businesses without employees may be eligible for $1,000 per week.
Information about these grants is available on the Service NSW website.
Create NSW COVID Development Grants
Grants of $5,000 for individual or groups and $10,000 for organisations are available to provide targeted support to individuals and groups in the small-to-medium sector in NSW in recognition of their role as important generators of cultural and artistic activity and crucial employers of artists across the state. Funding can be used for the creation, development and presentation fo new work, employment of artists and arts workers, skills development, marketing, and public programming.
Information about this grant is available on the Create NSW website.
NSW rent assistance
Tenants who can't pay their rent in full because they are impacted by COVID-19 restrictions can't be evicted between now and 11 September 2021. For information on requesting a rent reduction, deferral or waiver visit the NSW Government website.
Northern Territory Lockdown and Interruption Support
NT Government is offering the following financial support to businesses impacted by COVID-19 restrictions:
- The Territory Business Lockdown Payment Program provides a once-off payment to businesses that have experienced a 50% or more downturn in turnover. The business must have an annual turnover of $75,000 or more and have fewer than 20 full-time equivalent employees.
- Arts and Culture COVID-19 Interruption Support is for artists and arts workers to offset or recoup money lost due to cancelled arts and cultural activity due to COVID-19 lockdown restrictions. Applicants must be ineligible for the Territory Business Lockdown Payment Program.
Queensland COVID-19 Business Support Grants
Through the 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants you may be eligible to receive a grant of between $10,000 and $30,000 depending on the size of your business. This grant may be used for business expenses. Eligible businesses must have a turnover of more than $75,000 and have experiences at least a 30% reduction in turnover as a result of the lockdown.
If you are a sole trader who has had a decline in turnover of more than 30% due to the South East Queensland lockdown commencing 31 July 2021 or the Cairns and Yarrabah lockdown commencing 8 August 2021, you may be eligible for a one-off $1,000 grant.
Information about this grant can be found on the Business Queensland website.
Tasmania COVID-19 Business Support
The Business Hardship Border Closure Critical Support Grant supports tourism, hospitality, arts and events business that have been impacted by lockdowns and border restrictions in place in other states. Sole traders and business with turnover of $50,000 or more and have been impacted by a reduction in turnover by 30 per cent or more will receive a grant of between $2,000 and $10,000.
More information can be found on the Business Tasmania website.
Victorian Business Support
The Victorian Government is offering the following financial support to businesses impacted by COVID-19 restrictions:
- Impacted Public Events Support Program - eligible public events and suppliers to those public events affected by July lockdown restrictions will receive up to $25,000 and $10,000.
- Small Business COVID Hardship Fund - $10,000 to assist eligible small and medium businesses (including sole traders) whose operations have been severely impacted by COVID-19 restrictions, that have experienced at least a 70% reduction in turnover and that are ineligible for other key COVID-19 Victorian Government business grant programs.
- There will be a top up payments for those in receipt of the Business Costs Assistance Program.
Information can be found on the Business Victoria website.
SA COVID-19 Business Support
The SA Government is offering the following financial support to businesses impacted by COVID-19 restrictions:
- COVID-19 Business Support Grant - Grants of $3,000 for employing businesses and $1,000 for non-employing businesses are available for eligible businesses whose turnover has declined by 30% or more as a result of the COVID-19 health restrictions 20 - 26 July.
- COVID-19 Additional Business Support Grant - same as above, for the period 28 July - 10 August.
- Major Events Support Grant - $25,000 is available for the operators of major one-off events impacted by the July lockdown and subsequent trading restrictions.
More information can be found on the SA Department of Treasury and Finance website.